My Love Affair with Space

On the eve of the final mis­sion of NASA’s – and the nation’s – 30-year-long space shut­tle pro­gram, I present to you a video love let­ter – my newest piece for Time Magazine’s web­site, wherein Tara and I jour­ney to Florida to wit­ness our first launch.  STS-133, in Feb­ru­ary, was the last mis­sion of space shut­tle Dis­cov­ery…

Click for big­ger ver­sion at Time.com

Link:
My Love Affair with Space on Time.com

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Discussion

• Randy

11:53 am
    Jul-7-2011

Brain,

Won­der­ful video! Sadly I’ve never seen a shut­tle launch. I was there about 20 years ago on launch day, but it was scrubbed because of a faulty fuel pump with about 35 sec­onds to liftoff. What a bum­mer. Maybe you could say I expe­ri­enced a ver­sion of shut­tle ED.

Con­grat­u­la­tions on your engage­ment. That was beau­ti­ful.

Blast Off,
    Randy

• Brian

2:36 pm
      Jul-7-2011

Thanks, Randy! I like that – Shut­tle ED – espe­cially with the faulty fuel pump being the the issue.

• Beth

1:34 pm
    Jul-10-2011

Con­grat­u­la­tions! I was one of your inter­vie­wees on the cause­way — the preg­nant one in the “Michi­gan Rocket Sci­ence” shirt. Glad I checked back on your site to see this, espe­cially that adorable pro­posal. 🙂

• Brian

1:38 pm
      Jul-10-2011

Yes, I remem­ber! Thanks! I would’ve loved to have used your inter­view but, in the end, as you see, I went a totally dif­fer­ent direc­tion with the piece. But, now that I think about it, maybe I’ll get a chance to edit together some of the inter­views and throw them up on YouTube. Too bad there won’t be any more launches! 🙁

• Beth

1:52 pm
        Jul-10-2011

Oh, I highly doubt that any­thing I bab­bled could hold a can­dle to the look on your fiancee’s face! I love the idea of hav­ing been an unwit­ting party to an awe­some pro­posal ruse, whether you ever intended to use those clips or not. But yeah, it’d be fun to see them if you get around to putting some­thing together for YouTube!

• Brian

1:56 pm
          Jul-10-2011

I did gather the inter­views in earnest – and there were sev­eral oth­ers. But you are right about the pro­posal ruse – I needed Tara not to sus­pect any­thing, even though I was set­ting up a cam­era to cap­ture us watch­ing the launch. (the zoom­ing in dur­ing the pro­posal was actu­ally done dur­ing edit­ing – there was no other cam­era­man).

• Michael

7:17 am
    Jul-11-2011

Con­grat­u­la­tions, Brian!

I was the other per­son wear­ing the “Michi­gan Rocket Sci­ence” shirt with Beth. That is an awe­some pro­posal.

• Brian

1:42 pm
      Jul-11-2011

Hi Michael! Thanks! And thanks for par­tic­i­pat­ing! What a day, huh?

• Kimberly Lambert

1:11 pm
    Jul-17-2011

Wow! I never thought of space explo­ration as a desire to go ‘home’. Thank you for your fun, edu­ca­tional and thought-provoking work.

• Winston C. Mathis

8:44 pm
    Jul-17-2011

You know, I was think­ing how much I would like to be inspired about space explo­ration. I was think­ing about the sense of loss that per­me­ates our soci­ety in these dif­fi­cult times. My con­clu­sion is that we need to be inspired to dream about the pos­si­bil­i­ties that space travel pro­vides to our world. I would like to see you do a continuation/treatment of the work that was so won­der­fully done in the Cos­mos series. Make a pitch. We need to be able to dream again. I mean as opposed to liv­ing in fear. Good luck. Your book­marked!!

• Joanne

6:12 pm
    Dec-21-2011

You know I’m a fan of you and the shut­tle pro­gram! Look­ing for­ward to see­ing you again at @scio12 in Jan­u­ary, Brian!

• […] his more notable videos was one where he pro­posed to his then-girlfriend Tara as the space shut­tle Dis­cov­ery launched on its last flight in Feb­ru­ary 2011. They wed in April […]

Comment on This